All tax preparers are required to have a PTIN number when filing taxes, whether you’re a CTEC tax preparer in California, or a non-credentialed tax preparer trying to enroll in the Annual Filing Season, you’ve gotta have a PTIN. Applying for one is a quick and easy process, and can be done here.
What You Need Before Applying For a PTIN
Before you begin your PTIN application, be sure you have the following information available:
- Social Security Number
- Personal information (name, mailing address, date of birth)
- Business information (name, mailing address, telephone number)
- Previous year’s individual tax return (name, address, filing status) 1
- Explanations for any felony convictions 2
- Explanations for problems with your U.S. individual or business tax obligations (if any) 2
- Credit or debit card for the $50.00 PTIN user fee
- If applicable, any U.S.-based professional certification information (CPA, attorney, Enrolled Agent, Enrolled Retirement Plan Agent, Enrolled Actuary, Certified Acceptance Agent, or state license) including certification number, jurisdiction of issuance, and expiration date
Step 1. Create Your Account
First you must create an account. Go to the online PTIN system and click on “New User.”
Follow the prompts to complete the account setup process and obtain a temporary password. Then use your User ID and temporary password to login to the system. Your User ID is the email address you used when you created your account.
You will be prompted to change your password upon logging in for the first time.
Once logged in, if you have a social security number, you must select: “Sign Up with SSN.” Follow the prompts to apply for the calendar year or prior year/s, and obtain a PTIN.
If you do not have a social security number, refer to the PTIN FAQs for guidance regarding your eligibility for a PTIN and how to obtain one.
Note: PTINs are issued for a specific calendar year. A current year PTIN refers to a PTIN for the current calendar year while next year refers to a PTIN for the upcoming calendar year. PTIN applications for the upcoming year can be submitted beginning in mid-October each year.
Step 2. Receive Your PTIN
After completion of the online application, your PTIN is provided online.